The overall timeline of this project is as follows:
- Phase 1: Development. For the first Academic Year (Fall Y1 - Spring Y1), the programming team will develop the SOCL software. This is based upon the socialPsych platform that served as the pilot data for this project.
- Phase 2: Active Student Participation. For the life of the grant (Summer Y1 onward), the grant will support almost all costs associated with SOCL including: hosting the software, providing a technical support chat line and e-mail address, and actively updating the software if bugs are encountered.
- Phase 3: Migration. After the life of the grant has ended, institutions are expected to migrate the SOCL platform to their own locally hosted servers. Because the software is free, this is primarily an IT infrastructure cost plus any technical support role required. Many institutions will be able to continue use of the software for near-zero cost.
This can be further broken down by the specific semesters in which each project piece takes place:
- Phase 1: Development
Fall Y1 Interface Design and Initial Focus Groups Spring Y1 Programming and Question Collection Summer Y1 Product Testing and Refinement
- Phase 2: Active Student Participation
Fall Y2 - Spring Y2 Round 1 Implementation in Target Student Environments Summer Y2 Software Refinement Stage 1 Fall Y3 - Spring Y3 Round 2 Implementation in Target Student Environments Summer Y3 Software Refinement Stage 2
- Phase 3: Final Deployment and Testing
Summer Y4 Transition to Local Services Fall Y4- Spring Y4 Final Implementation to Target Student Environments and IT Services Summer Y4 Final Data Collection Effort